Opened on May 19, 1927, the LANTEX celebrates its
90th Birthday in 2017!
The LANTEX Theater opened its doors to much fanfare on May 19, 1927. It was proclaimed the "House of Comfort all Year", because of its "conditioned air" - the large evaporative cooling system that predated central air conditioning.
Opened on May 19, 1927 on the North side of Llano's courthouse square, the theater was built by S. D. Rainer and George Shaw, who hired J. R. Blackmore as their builder.
Opening night saw a standing room only crowd, who paid 30 cents per adult ticket and 10 cents per child, to see Universal Pictures' "The Fourth Commandment". 1927 was abuzz with the advent of the "Talkies", and many movie houses were built all over the US. Most have closed, been converted into other uses, and the LANTEX has outlived most of its counterparts and remains one of the last historic single screen movie houses in the country.
The LANTEX has been part of the Llano social fabric all during its lifetime, hosting school concerts, WWII Bond drives, town hall meetings, theatrical performances, concerts and the monthly Llano Country Opry. Now it is rentable for private parties and functions.
To inquire about booking the LANTEX Theater,
please call 325-247-4158, ext. 104.
Rental Rate Schedules are available by clicking HERE.
Top: The LANTEX as featured in the 1927 newspaper article.
Middle: The LANTEX as it appears today, the modern facade replaced the
Spanish Colonial design after a marquee fire in 1950.
Bottom: Artist's rendering of what a restored facade parapet would look like,
minus the other decorative elements of the original,
pending a better quality photograph to verify the details.